Donating stocks and shares is an easy and tax-efficient way of supporting sight-saving research.
What are the benefits of donating shares?
By supporting our work with share giving:
- You can claim full income tax relief on the value of your shares.
- You do not have to pay any Capitals Gain Tax (and neither do we), so you can maximise your donation at no extra cost.
- If you pay income tax at 40% or 45%, you'll be able to claim income tax relief equal to 40% or 45% of the value of your gift, depending on which rate of tax you pay.
Is share giving for me?
Share giving is a good option if:
- You own a small bundle of shares that generate a negligible level of income, but still require administration and time on your part.
- You have received shares maybe as a result of an inheritance or privatisation or demutualisation, but you are not interested in keeping them.
- You’re keen to support sight-saving research but, right now, you would prefer not to make a cash gift.
Donating shares worth less than £1,000 (ShareGift)
Why use ShareGift?
If you would like to donate £1,000 or less worth of shares which are uneconomical to sell, you may wish to consider donating them to us via ShareGift, the share donation charity.
What is ShareGift?
ShareGift is an independent UK registered charity (No. 1052686) which specialises in releasing the money locked up in small shareholdings, but which can accept donations of any size. ShareGift works by collecting together small lots of shares until there are enough to sell and then donating the resulting proceeds to a wide range of charities. To date ShareGift has donated over £37 million to more than 3,100 charities. ShareGift make their grants based upon research and suggestions from donors.
How to I donate shares via ShareGift?
Please visit the ShareGift website or call them on 020 7930 37373.
Simply mention Sight Research UK (Registered Charity No. 1156134) when you make your donation to ShareGift, and they will do the rest.
You will not be charged any fees, nor will we.
Donating shares worth more than £1,000
If you would like to donate £1,000 or more worth of shares, please download the Share Giving Authorisation Form below and we will send you a CREST Transfer form.
The sale of your shares will be handled by our charity's investment managers, Smith & Williamson. It is our policy to sell all gifted shares on receipt, and for the sale proceeds to be sent to our bank account for ready use. Only in exceptional circumstances will we reinvest your gifted shares in our investment portfolio and we would do so in consultation with you.
There is no charge for you as the donor, and Smith & Williamson do not charge us commission for these transactions which means that more of your gift can support sight-saving research. We are very grateful.
Download the Share Giving Authorisation Form
If you have any questions, please do get in touch.
We are always happy to help.
You can phone us on 0117 325 7757 or email email@example.com