- Water isn't strictly food but it's an essential part of a healthy diet.
- If you don't drink enough water, your body will experience dehydration. This affects many organs, including your eyes which may feel gritty, itchy, and dry.
How to get enough water
- Aim to drink eight glasses of water every day. Start with one full glass before breakfast, and another full glass half an hour or so before a meal.
- If you don't like the taste of plain water, try flavouring it with some pieces of of your favourite fruits, or slices of citrus, or even herbs like fresh mint.
- Herbal teas also count towards your water intake.
- Steer clear of energy drinks and caffeine drinks as they can be dehydrating. If you can't live without coffee, make sure you drink a glass of water for every cup of coffee.
- Limit sugary drinks. Too much sugar consumption can lead to Type 2 diabetes, which can cause diabetic retinopathy, which can, in turn, lead to blindness.
Read nextWatermelon for eye health