- Apples contain flavonoid compounds and antioxidant phytonutrients which reduce the effect of free radicals on eyes and can help to preserve general eye health.
- Apples also contain lutein, an antioxidant linked to good vision.
Easy ways to include apples in your diet
- An unpeeled, grated apple adds extra fibre and low carb sweetness to porridge or breakfast cereals.
- Add chunks of apple to a salad alongside lots of leafy greens like spinach and lettuce.
- For a sweet treat stew some apples and use in an apple pie or crumble.
- Apple and apricot stuffing are a great accompaniment to lean meats.
- Pack an apple in your bag - the perfect snack on the go!
Read nextApricots for eye health